Michael's Place

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Family Fable

My dad was born in Argentina and lived there till he was 17. Life there was a lot different than it is now days in America which has led my dad to raise me in different ways than he was raised. How ever, there are some things he learned as a young boy in Argentina and still reminds me of them to this day. The biggest value my dad was raised on was honesty. He was raised always to tell the truth even if he would have gotten in trouble because he would get in more trouble for lying than he would for the thing he was lying about. Because this value that was taught to my dad at such a young age, he did something that almost no one else at his age could have done.
One day when my dad was about 6 or 7 he went to the store down the block from his house. All he needed was a loaf of bread so he paid for it in cash. The cashier gave him his change and he walked out of the store bread in hand. While he was walking back to his house he realized that the cashier had given him too much change. Instead of being like most 6 or 7 year olds he decided to go back to the store and return the excess money. The cashier was very thankful for his honesty. He then went home and told his dad what had happened and his dad said that he was very of what he did. The next day while he was walking to school past the store something caught his eye. There was a $5 bill resting against the curb. He picked it up and asked anyone if they had lost it and nobody said the had so he got to keep the money. My dad has always told me this story when he wants me to be honest. He says that what goes around comes around. If you do something good, something good will happen to you. Honesty pays, and in this case it did literally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home